This site uses cookies to enhance its use, and by continuing you agree to us placing cookies on your device.
Click here to read the Information Commissioner's Office guidance on cookies


Skip the page content navigation if you do not require links to content sections within this page.

Page Content Navigation

Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Primary Navigation

Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.

The help available

Having arthritis often means extra expense. You may be able to get state benefits to help with the extra costs of having arthritis or if you’re unable to work. It’s worth checking that you’re claiming everything that you are entitled to.

Update: The government is currently assessing the welfare reform bill, which will impact on the benefits system and how they are claimed. Further updates will be posted on this page.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance will be changing in 2013 to the Personal Independence Payment. This will happen over a period of time, as claimants are reassessed.  

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a non-means tested benefit for people under 65 with an illness or disability who have problems getting around, or need help with personal care, or both of these. Find out how to claim DLA, or use the checklist available here to see if you are eligible to claim.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit for people aged 65 or over with an illness or a disability who need help with personal care. Find out how to claim AA

Access to Work

Access to Work provides practical advice and grants to help overcome work-related obstacles resulting from disability.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a weekly taxable benefit paid if you are aged 16 or over and regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) aims to provide income and help for returning to work for people who cannot work due to sickness or disability. Find out how to claim Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support

Income Support (IS) provides a basic income for people who may be too ill to work, but not have enough NI contributions to get Employment and Support Allowance.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) is for people who are unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week, who are available for – and actively seeking – work.

Council Tax Benefit

If you are on a low income and paying council tax you can claim Council Tax Benefit.

Help with health costs

If you or your partner are on Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can get help with your health costs. These include free NHS prescriptions, free NHS sight tests, and repayment of necessary travel costs to and from hospital for NHS treatment.

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income and paying rent, you can claim Housing Benefit.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit for people aged 60 or over. The qualifying age from which you can get the Guarantee Credit is gradually increasing from 60 to 65 between April 2010 and 2020. 

The Social Fund

The Social Fund makes payments (called Crisis Loans) to people for an emergency or disaster, such as funeral payments, cold weather payments and winter fuel payments.

Tax Credits

Child Tax Credit supports people who are responsible for children whether they are in work or not.

Working Tax Credit is a means-tested payment for those in low-paid work. It supports families with children and workers with a disability.

People completing benefit forms

Person walking

Share this page:


The following page sections include static unchanging site components such as the page banner, useful links and copyright information. Return to the top of page if you want to start again.

Page Extras

Skip the main banner if you do not want to read it as the next section.

Page Banner

Call our FREE confidential helpline 0808 8004050

End of page. You can return to the page content navigation from here.