Sources of further help and information

Dietitians and nutritionists

If you need a bit of extra help and advice with your diet and food concerns, speak to your doctor about consulting a dietitian or a nutritionist. 

What is the difference between a dietitian and nutritionist?


Dietitians are qualified health professionals able to assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional issues. They are regulated by law in the UK and governed by an ethical code, which ensures they work to the highest professional standards. They work within the NHS and in private practice. Practising dietitians are almost always members of the British Dietetic Association (BDA), and will have the initials RD after their names. You may be referred to a dietitian if you have a specific food allergy or if there are concerns about your weight.


Nutritionists are qualified to provide information about food and healthy eating, and to advise on ways of giving the body the nutrition it needs. However, they are not currently regulated in the UK, which means there are no laws regarding what training someone needs to have undertaken to call themselves a nutritionist. There is a professional body that nutritionists can join if they meet certain requirements (the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists), which allows them to use the title of Registered Nutritionist (RNutr). 

Slimming groups

Slimming groups can provide a very supportive environment in which you can discuss issues and concerns, learn new weight loss strategies, and record (and celebrate) your weight loss progress. You usually pay a weekly fee, which will include a discreet weigh in, some kind of group discussion time and access to several helpful resources (recipes, tips, weight loss charts, etc.).

There are several different groups across the UK, but some of the most popular ones are:

Weight Watchers 

Slimming World 

Rosemary Conley Diet 

Published in 2015
Next review due 2018